Monday, December 5, 2011

Sacrifice

Have you ever met someone who right away you are pretty sure that you were made to be friends?

Laurel Larson

Laurel and I met 2 years ago at church and I have been blessed by her friendship ever since. She and I quickly realized that we share similar "sassy" personalities, as our husbands would say.

We hang out quite regularly as our kids run circles around us. But some of my favorite times with Laurel have been when her husband Chuck is away at Drill for the weekend and Dan is busy with church stuff. We usually end up getting a pizza, playing with our kids and talking through life. I'm pretty sure that we usually don't have answers to all the big questions that we have but what a blessing to have someone to talk through things with.

Laurel, Chuck and their girls.
The reason that this is titled "Sacrifice" is because Laurel's husband Chuck is in California training for his 3rd deployment overseas. He is a Captain in the Marines. Chuck and Laurel have two beautiful daughters Millie (4) and Stella (2) and just welcomed their little boy Blaise the beginning of November. Chuck was able to come home for the delivery and left for training again before they even left the hospital.
LinkSacrifice.
Chuck is sacrificing so much to serve our country and Laurel is sacrificing so much for our country. I can't imagine having to leave my family and I can't imagine having my husband gone for 14 months while being the mother of a four year old, a two year old and a newborn.

My heart aches for Laurel and all the other families that are going through similar situations. I hung out with my friend Sarah today and she was telling me about her sister Emily. Emily's husband is a Marine also and is already overseas, also on his 3rd deployment. It is a lifestyle that I cannot even begin to understand. I was reading Emily's blog today and she was writing about how her husband recorded books for their little girl to listen to while he is gone. She listen's to "Daddy's books" every night. I am tearing up just thinking about how unbelievably difficult that must be.

It is so easy to take Dan for-granted. It is so easy to not think twice when he reads my kids a book or when he wrestles them or when he helps me buckle them into the car or wipe them off after dinner. Laurel and Emily are just two of so many examples of not having that for a year or so and they are such a reminder to me to be thankful for my husband and thankful for the men and women who sacrifice to much for our country.

About the only upside to Chuck being gone is I'm bound to get a lot more Laurel-time. I LOVE Laurel-time. I'm so blessed by her friendship and blessed to watch such a strong woman through such tough times.

So thank you Chuck and Bud and thank you Laurel and Emily for all you are sacrificing!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Made me cry, Mego. God bless all who are willing to put their life on the line for those they love, and especially those they don't even know, so that we can do what we do every ordinary day.

April Scherb said...

Oh Meg, how I love your blog. Chuck and Laurel have been on my mind a lot lately. I'm so thankful you posted this to honor them and those like them. I agree with every word in this post. I am so amazed by their sacrifice and pray the Lord strengthen them daily!
P.s I would love a Meg and Laurel date!

Carrie Krupke said...

AMEN Meg! Whenever I hear our National Guard F-16s flying, I pray for my brother-in-law and sister. I think it's in these moments you realize that it can really take a village to raise a child. My sister couldn't do it without the help of my parents. I wish Katie had someone like you for mom-play-dates!