Saturday, November 19, 2011

Independence

I was hit with the reality yesterday that my kids are becoming more and more independent. And when I say my kids I mean ALL my kids.

Titan is now rolling over both ways. And the saddest thing is that he falls asleep better laying by himself than in my arms. He may doze off in my arms but he does not really sleep for very long or as peacefully. I am so thankful that he is so good at falling asleep on his own but so sad that my baby is getting bigger. It is one of those moments as a mom where you are so excited and thankful that all you have to do is swaddle him up and lay him down but then you get a chance to snuggle him and he won't fall asleep in your arms and it's a little heartbreaking, bitter sweet. One of my favorite things is when they fall asleep laying on your chest...
Independence is an exciting, sad and really messy thing all at the same time!

It's exciting to see my kids growing and learning and wanting to try new things. It's helpful that Quinn can get himself dressed for the most part, put his own shoes on, brush his teeth, clear his plate, fill up his water cup from the fridge, go to the bathroom. But independence can be REALLY messy though!

A 3 year old boy going to the bathroom by himself causes me to scrub down my bathroom almost daily. The smell of pee is unavoidable in our bathroom these days and looking at the blessings that the Lord has given me (3 boys) it seems that it is a smell that won't be going away any time soon. I'm totally stumped as to how to fix this problem and totally sick of cleaning my bathroom constantly. But how do you tell a 3 year old who is SOOO proud of himself that he can go to the bathroom standing up on his own that you have to help him?? And often times I've got my hands full. I cringe if I listen to him and then thank the Lord for such an amazing boy! Watch our Lysol we have another boy almost ready to be potty trained. I'm thankful for my independent and growing boy, sad for my smelly bathroom... once again, bitter sweet.
The twins are now experts at filling up their cups at the fridge. They tend to have opposite problems though. Rex puts just a splash into his cup and Myla fills it until it is overflowing and is thrilled about wiping up the mess she made. Myla also really enjoys putting on her own shoes. She gets very focused and works really hard at it and almost always gets them on the right feet. Rex could care less if he puts them on or not. The only thing he is concerned about is if Quinn has his shoes on too!

We are now eating every meal at the table which is very messy too. Because we have carpet under our table I vacuum daily to keep food from being trampled into it. The kids are fabulous helpers and like to help set the table and clear their plates when they are done. There efforts are appreciated and they so excited about helping. We have had some plates end up on the floor, all I can say is, "oh well!"
Encouraging kids to do things on their own and to learn and grow and take responsibility of their things requires a lot of patience. I could fill up their cups, put their shoes on, dress them, pick up the toys, clean up the kitchen in much much much much much less time than it takes them to do it but that won't do them any good. Instead, I get to encourage them and praise them and watch proud little smiles wash across their faces as they overcome obstacles and accomplish new tasks. But believe me, I have had my fair share of moments when my patience wears thin. I am so proud of my wee ones as they learn about life and how to do more things. What blessings they are!Have you ever seen a more handsome little baby? He is perfect!My children LOVE to do whatever I am doing. Anything from washing the dishes to making a grocery list. On this particular day Myla is making her own grocery list in her princess notebook. Rex ... not quite sure what he is doing. Look at my BIG boy!We have also been embracing crafts. For those of you that know me well, you know that I am NOT crafty but my kids love them and it's something new and entertaining. Plus they are learning to do so many things on their own.

The other day we made snowmen. Glue, cotton balls and markers were enough to keep them busy for a long time! Myla LOVES to doodle these days. She makes these little squiggles/circles all over!It was entertaining for me to watch them get the glue and cotton stuck to their fingers and them try to get it off! Their masterpieces!Quinton is doing wonderful at learning all his letters and writing them. He can tell me when certain words start with based on their sounds and is constantly recognizing letters on signs, trucks, everywhere we go. It is so much fun to see him learn how to write.

We were talking about skyping with Nana and Papa to show them our snowmen and he wanted to write their names. Look at his fabulous penmanship .

PapaNana (I forgot to flip the picture)So, my four wee ones are doing amazing. Growing and changing right before my eyes. I can hardly believe how fast time flies. I might have to do everything I can to keep Titan from crawling just so he stays little longer.... hmmm something to ponder!

No comments: