Friday, September 21, 2012

Official Bug Hunters





This is my official Bug Hunting Team.
The goal of bug hunting is to spot, catch, and confine any and every bug that they spot. The bigger the better, the jumpier the more fun, the scarier looking the more I shriek. They like that!
 
One of the best bug hunting spots is down by the church near our house. There are tons of different plants there and they seem to have the biggest grasshoppers around. The big kids like to bike down. We usually go on the nights when Dan is home after naps, bring a snack to keep the bug hunters strong and motivated. They get a bike ride in, or a wagon ride if you're Titan, and lots of big bugs.
We even made bug spotting binoculars to help the Official Bug Hunting Team. I love coming up with little crafts for them to do (because I am not crafty) and these seemed perfect for their big imaginations. I have begun saving every toilet paper roll and paper towel roll in case some fun crafting ideas arise.
It was really sweet to see them all looking through them trying to find bugs. Quinton was convinced that he could spot bugs better looking through them.



 
Bug hunting is not for the weak. They will be out running from spot to spot for over an hour. Extreme excitement erupts when they catch a big one, disappointment when they miss one or capture one a little too roughly and they don't make it.

We even have a large bug jar with small holes drilled in the top so that we can bring them home and keep them, feed them, hold them, love them until they die. Bugs, they love them.
I love this picture of Quinton. His face is one of determination, but it's clear by where he is looking that he didn't capture it. It's pretty funny when all four members of the bug hunting team get on all sides of a bug and capture it. Teamwork is a must when it comes to bug hunting. It doesn't seem to matter who actually captures the bug as long as they get 'em.
Rex always has time to stop and pick me a flower, or a dead dandelion.
And here is my bug hunting cheering buddy. Next year he will be right in with the rest of them.
Here is the crew when we got home. They seem pretty pleased with themselves.
And here are just a few of the delightfully creepy bugs that we brought home. As a mother to my fabulous wee ones I have learned to celebrate and embrace the creepy, crawly without touching or getting close to them. Impressive isn't it?
My only girl embracing the bugs. She will not be afraid of anything!
Just one of the many adventures that we go on with Daddy. I love my bug hunting team. Just another reason why we are sad to see the warm weather coming to an end. Bug Hunting is definitely right up there with swimming for these kids.

2 comments:

Allie said...

The fact that your kids like bugs makes me nervous that there will be bugs in heaven. I thought humans unanimously decided that we don't like insects (thus why we call them "bugs"), but if some people like them, maybe God will let them be there... for eternity. Bleegh.

April Scherb said...

I just really felt the need to comment on Allie's comment... Really Allie?! LOL I would have never thought of that! Please oh please say that thought is wrong... Bleegh is right! Meg your bug hunting team is pretty adorable though!