Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kitchen Progress

My kitchen is slowly but surely coming together.
After my impulsive painting extravaganza, thank you again to Julia, I have been dying to get things up on the walls. There is one problem, I am horrible at designing things, putting things together, figuring out what matches, envisioning things.

I'm pretty sure that 10 different people could come into my house and design it 10 different ways and I would love any of them. I don't feel like I'm too picky. A friend asked me my style, the only thing I could come up with is "clean." I like things clean. Is that a style? Oh, and I love BLACK! My favorite color.

The picture online that I used for my inspiration for the color of the walls had a couple of black and white decorations in the room. I can do that. Clean, Not a lot of thinking involved.

Wrong.... I must still figure out what I want to put on the walls, what height, how to arrange it, how many frames should go on a wall. It's exhausting and I still have a long way to go.

I do know a few things that I want to include. One of them was a white board drawing area on our big empty wall. Since our fridge doesn't hold magnets I thought it would be a perfect place to put up some letter and number magnets and to work on our artistic skills.

Ta-da!
Step one complete. Now I need to order some magnets.Each of my children are dressed in their favorite thing to wear these days. My boys, of course, in their basketball shorts with their shirts off, and Myla in her new pajamas, thank you Shelly! They would each wear these clothes day and night if I would let them. However, I do require them to change, put on "real" clothes and get ready for the day. The boys, although usually reluctant, change. Myla has put up quite the passionate fight these past two weeks. She LOVES her "toasty heart pajamas." And when I say Love I mean LOVE. She barely wanted to sit in the bath tonight because she knew once she got out she could put on her "toasty heart pajamas." I'm interested to see what happens when it gets too warm to wear them or she grows out of them.
I realize that the white boards are still new and exciting but I think that we will get a lot of use out of them. Dan and I have discovered that we are horrible artists. Our kids are always asking us to draw this and that and although some of the things seem like they would be easy to draw, they never are. It is funny what they guess some of our drawings to be. So, in all my free time I might need to sharpen up my drawing skills.

They are all doing a happy dance because they like our white boards.Quinn and I dreamed up a picture together. We had a whole story to go along with it. Quinn came up with the idea of putting a whale jumping into the pool. I like how he thinks! Quinn and I worked on some numbers and letters the other day. He loves playing learning games. I love getting to see his mind at work. He was quite pleased with himself.My almost 4 year old smarty pants.Dan is so wonderful. He is always willing to hang something for me if I want, but has little opinion about where things should go or what they should look like. So, anyone who is good at design feel free to stop by anytime. I have a handful or frames and some ideas, now I just need some help! I'm excited for the finished product!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Look at that smarty pants! What a good game. Love the happy dance too!

Kelly said...

Look at that smarty pants! What a good game. Love the happy dance too!

Momma of 4 said...

I bought a pack of plain magnets for a project and have tons of left overs. You could make it into an afternoon activity with the kids if you let them make fun designs or unique things to glue onto the magnets to make your own! Or, you could buy some :)