Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bald Boys...

Well, although I didn't know at the time, these were the last ponytails that my boys would be wearing for a LONG time.
Yesterday morning started out like any other day, we woke up excited to enjoy a fun day with daddy. Well, our day was memorable but not too much fun. I had noticed that Quinn's head had been itching that past few days but figured it was from swimming, the heat, playing outside and rolling in the grass, he wasn't complaining about it and it was not enough itching to concern me. Well, after breakfast he was sitting on Dan's lap and Dan noticed that there were little bugs crawling around.... Yes, one of my worst fears, LICE! So after talking to several people, shedding a few tears in the pharmacy at Target from being overwhelmed (and 38 weeks pregnant) we decided that the move was to take their beautiful locks and go from this...And this....To this...And from this...To this...
You might think it was extreme but it was the quickest, easiest, cheapest option. I was already bummed about some other things so the tears came easily, especially with all the hormones while cutting their hair. Rex' hair wasn't quite as sad but Quinn's gorgeous hair brought me to tears as I shaved it off. We started at a level three and after naps went even shorter to a level one (the shortest before a smooth head) after finding some eggs still in their hair. So now, NOTHING can live in their hair. It's so short that no bugs, no eggs, can live on their hair. We did treatments on all our kids. Found nothing on Myla but her and I did 2 different treatments throughout the day. And found nothing on Dan. So yesterday was full of an UNBELIEVABLE amount of laundry, cleaning, spraying EVERYTHING in sight with the lice killing spray. We even had our neighbors doing laundry for us because there was just so much to do. It's crazy all the things that you would not think of washing and spraying, car seats, all bedding, all the towels and rugs and shower curtains, carpet, couches, mattresses, hair bows, pillows, curtains (my kids hid under them), stuffed animals, baby blankets that they play with, the list goes on and on. I am fairly certain that we are a lice free house. My boys are clean, Myla is clean and now we are just in the waiting period to make sure that no other bugs pop up around here. I feel pretty confident that we are in the clear.

Well it is a good thing that we have some REALLY cute kids because they don't even need hair to look extremely handsome. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't get much sweet than these three wee ones. I was totally impressed with how my kids just went with the flow with yesterday's events. The boys were very brave not making a big deal about getting their hair cut off and Myla has been fabulous at letting us dig through her hair. They are tremendous kids
Ohh I'm so in love with these three!
Dan is so wonderful in situations like this. Although, far from the ideal way we wanted to spend out Tuesday, he always keeps things in perspective. Dan is very good at reminding me that it is just lice, it is just hair, it will be over soon and there are far worse things, but also giving me a hug while I cut off their hair! I was very thankful that we got to bare through the bugs together and I am very thankful that Dan maintains such clear thinking through bumps in the road.

Quinn is by far the best big brother!
A sweet moment between my oldest two.


It makes me a little sad to look at these pictures of their long hair but it will grow back!!! And now I won't have to worry about cutting their hair for a long time with our new baby coming!

We enjoyed a day with Hannah and Josiah the other day.
Popsicles are a must in the summer!
We are so blessed by such fabulous friends!My sweet girl. She loves Josiah. She is going to be a fabulous helper when this baby comes (it's starting to feel like he will never come though). Myla is by far the most excited about talking about the baby and any time we do she puts her hands out to hold him. It's going to be a blast with another little guy around.She continues to be delightful and such a blessing to her Daddy and I.On the curls..... :( We are going to have to work towards curls for the girls again!So, after a rough day yesterday, today looks brighter. Most things are washed and clean and put away. This baby can come any day now because everything is SOOO clean! We are excited to meet our little new guy and now there's a chance that he will have more hair than his brothers and finally Myla has the most hair of all our kids! We continue to be very blessed, and very thankful and through all the bumps in the road we learn a lot!

4 comments:

Dan said...

Meg, they look darling and it will grow back. Hang in there (like you have a choice); I am sure baby boy Rude will be making an appearance soon. Healthy and happy! love, Aunt Sue

Carrie Krupke said...

Now THAT'S what I call nesting. So sorry it had to come under those conditions...and you're right-those kiddos are cute no matter their hair style. :)

The Meyers said...

Oh Meg! My head immediately started itching after reading your post. This is one of my biggest fears too! Please let me know if you guys need anything!

Life's a Dance said...

oh meg! your children are beautiful, even with bald heads! So precious!