Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Was The Best Mom EVER...

"I was the best mom ever... before I had kids"
That was a funny but true quote by my good friend Sarah Roberts this morning.

Wednesday mornings.
Wednesday mornings are one of the highlights of my week. Wednesday mornings at 5:45 am I get in my car and drive over to my friend Tonya's house. At 5:55am nine of us moms open our bibles, enjoy coffee and learn from the mistakes and wisdom of each other. Seven weeks ago we began a little moms bible study, or as we call it "Young Mamas Memorizing the Word." We meet from 6-7am before our children wake up and our husbands go to work. Dan normally leaves for work around 6am but stays home on Wednesdays so I can go meet with my girls! It is early but so peaceful. Every week we get together and every week I leave so encouraged. We pick a different passage to memorize each week. It has been really amazing to see the Word of God transform my life. It has made such a difference having a verse to meditate on throughout the week. We all see each other throughout the week so we decided to keep on track. When we get together we recite our verse from the week and the week before (so we can really keep the verses in our memory), talk about the verse for the next week and share prayer requests from our own lives. These women are truly an encouragement in my life!

I am learning a lot about becoming more like Christ.
So the comment, "I was the best mom ever... before I had kids" was quite appropriate. Before I was a mom I thought that I would be a perfect mother. It was so easy to see moms at the grocery store, the mall, at church, and think, "I would never let my kid do that." I always said I would never have a child with food on their shirt.... and then I had kids. But being a mother is HARD WORK, (hence the need for memorizing the Word and mothers around me to encourage me!) I don't realize how impatient I am until I am teaching Quinn to clean up toys, or how selfish I am until things don't go as I have planned them, which is quite often with three little ones, or how easily I can become angry when my kids knock an entire cup of milk onto the floor right after I just cleaned it. All these areas are areas that the Lord is teaching me in and making me into the woman that He desires me to be. I love my children and my husband but I surely would be an awful wife and mother without the Lord. I can feel my life being transformed each week as I mediate on new parts of the Word and I know that through it all I am becoming more like Christ and as I become more like Christ, I am inching closer to being "the best mom ever" even after having kids!

These are my note cards to help me memorize... I seriously LOVE Wednesday mornings!
It is truly amazing how refining motherhood is. There is no room for selfishness and lots of room for sacrifice. Although looking at the little faces of the children that the Lord has blessed me with makes it more often than not easy to lay down my life for them. I desire to be the best mother ever for my Wee Rudes.


We are still enjoying the beautiful outdoors. Myla is wearing another pair of new (to her) earrings. I keep losing them and I am running out of studs that I have. I need to remember to get some new ones but for now she is sporting my amber colored earrings.

Check out his long hair!

And a little drool

We enjoyed a wonderful Rude Family Gathering on Sunday. We hosted in our fabulous new house. The little boys enjoyed some basketball and Dan taught Quinn how to "shuffle his feet" while on defense, an incredibly funny sight to see!

Quinn dunking it!

My little guy loves the scooter (check out my cute shirt Aunt Dana)

Quinn showing off his helicopter

As I have said before, Rex loves putting things in his mouth... this is how I often find him.
Crazy boy

Curly Q
These videos have been long awaited. They are not walking a lot yet. They both take lots of steps, Myla more than Rex. They both stand up on their own without pulling up on something. They both love their push toys... a good find at my sale!
Enjoy watching my walkers



Myla taking some steps for you to see. She is still so little to me!


Myla being goofy


So for all of you that don't have children yet, you can still consider yourselves "the best mom ever" as for the rest of you, consider yourselves a work in progress and thank the Lord daily for the grace that He extends to us as we learn to become "the best mom ever!"

3 comments:

Dana and Tonya said...

great blog! being a mom has been such a humbling experience, but refining. Who I thought I would be as a mom and who I actually am are worlds apart, but it's teaching me grace and compassion! There are so many times I can see the Lord providing strength to make it through the day. I know that is where He wants me! You are already such an amazing mom--I love watching you cherish your little ones!

and thanks for the taco soup recipe, so much easier than my old version!

Kristy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this Meg! As you can imagine I have a lot of thoughts of being a "good mom" right now, so I think it was really good for me to read :)

Christy said...

I think you are a good mom!