Saturday, October 13, 2012

Crafty

Something has come over me. 
I'm not sure if it's the pregnancy or the fact that I am asked daily, "Can we do a craft?" But I am learning, slowly but surely with the help of pinterest and a few different blogs to come up with crafts for my sweet children. 

They love crafts. 
They love getting messy, painting, glue, markers, trying new things, slimy, sticky, crazy crafts. And as the blessed mother of my children I am responsible for coming up with crafts. I have gotten into the habit of saving every toilet paper roll that is empty, racking my brain for possible uses of a sauce jar or a cereal box. I have to stay on top of these things because in order to do a craft I must have at least three of whatever I need. Sometimes all I need to do is provide them with the tools and they come up with something creative to make or they just pile a whole bunch of glue and glitter and keep themselves happy. 

When I'm really on my game I can tie a great learning moment into the craft. Those are the days when I walk around with a big head for a while because I'm so thrilled with myself and my ability to be crafty and smart! 

This particular craft was a big success.
We read through the story of Noah's Ark in the Jesus Storybook Bible, a must for families with young kids, wonderful stories, great pictures and the best message. We talked about how and why God made a rainbow for Noah. And then things got sweet and delicious.
I was forced to buy fruit loops for this craft. We don't normally have them on hand but oh they are delicious. Everyone started with a pile, munched on a few and sorted their colors. I particularly love crafts that take a good chunk of time and sorting fruit loops did just that.

One thing that I have noticed over the last month or so of intense crafting at the Rude house is how different each of my kids will do each craft. It's fascinating to see their little minds at work and how The Lord made each of them different in how they think and do things.
Myla seems to be more organized and slow in her crafting. She wants to make sure that everything is perfect.
 Quinton, taste the rainbow.
Rex seems less concerned about the organization of the fruit loops and more concerned about just enjoying himself.
After the fruit loops we added cotton balls for clouds, drew a sun and put their names on it.
 Voila! A sweet beautiful craft.
 Titan woke up midway through this craft and got to enjoy some fruit loops as well!
We've tried glitter and glue crafts several times and are still working on perfecting the outcome. But they love the process.
And when you're not sure what else to do pull out the paints, throw my old Starbucks aprons on them, hand them a paint brush and let them go to town.
 Rex painting Rex the dinosaur.
 Myla usually has her tongue out while she's crafting. She's always concentrating very hard.
 The whole gang.
 My big grown up 4 year old.
 Rex onto his second picture...
He decided on orange. He used almost the whole paint jar. I timed him and for over 7 minutes he painted orange and orange and orange some more. That's just Rex for you. I love this boy.
 Myla was still working on her first picture.
 Quinton working on staying in the lines.
 And when Titan wakes up he just wants to party...
 And party he does...
Oh it's just another day at the Rude house, crafts, climbing, craziness. How I adore these children and the smiles they bring to my face every day. I'm always looking for new and exciting craft ideas if you have any suggestions.

No comments: