Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yvonne Johnson

This past weekend I had the honor of standing next to one of the most amazing women that I know on her wedding day. One of my best friends Yvonne married an incredible man, D'Angelo Johnson last Friday. I have been looking forward to Yvonne's wedding day since they started dating, knowing full well that D was THE ONE for Yvonne. It was such an exciting day and I was so thrilled to get to be a part of as many of the festivities that being a mother of 4 allowed me to be.

The day began with breakfast followed by a few of my favorite things: lots of girl talk, lots of hairspray and curling irons, iced coffee, makeup doing and sharing and offering tips to one another, tears, and fabulous fellowship.

Part of what made this day extra special was that it not only united two people, it actually united 4 people. Yvonne is the extraordinary mother of Noah, who is 6 years old (I have had the pleasure of watching him grow up right before my eyes) and D is the father of Ahman, who is 4 and looks almost identical to the Karate Kid ;) It made the whole event even more emotional, thinking of how these two kids lives are going to be changed for the better. Yvonne and D have done such great jobs parenting on their own but now they get to be parents and love these kids together and be a family! And I'm pretty sure that Noah and Ahman are thrilled to be brothers!

The Johnson Family
(Yvonne looked STUNNING)D and Yvonne with the kids from the wedding
Olivia (on the far left) is the daughter of my dear friend Rachel who was the maid of honor for the wedding.Sweet Little Brothers
I got to make a toast for Yvonne and D at the wedding.
Here is a little excerpt from my toast to her so that those of you that don't know her can realize just what an amazing woman she is,

"Over the last 5 years it has been amazing to watch the Lord transform your life. You have gone from a crazy, wild, new in Christ girl to a crazy, wild, mature woman of God who myself and countless other women look to for advice, encouragement and comfort. In 1 Thessalonians 2 Paul says, “we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well,” he then goes on to say, “for you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.”
You have lived out these verses better than any woman I know. You have shared your life with so many people and allowed the Lord to be glorified through your past. You bend over backwards to love those that others might have given up on. You have linked arms with people and helped them step by step to draw closer to the Lord. You are amazing at loving people where they are at and in a way that makes sense to them. You have time and time again showed up at my house with a coffee, an arm to hold a baby and an ear to listen. You graciously welcome other people’s children into your house and give up your own free time to meet the needs of those around you."

(There was more at the beginning and the end of the toast too)

Yvonne, her dad and some of the bridesmaids
Yvonne and her Dad, Oscar
Having Fun
The Matron (that makes me sound really old) and Maid of honors.
I loved getting to spend a lot of time around Rachel. She is such a wonderful woman. Her daughter is Olivia from the picture above.
Rachel, Ashley and Sara
Yvonne and RachelI loved getting to spend so much time with Yvonne during wedding weekAunt Julia was kind enough to take care of Titan during the wedding!
My HOT date!
Dan officiated the wedding. It was really wonderful because he was able to share so many personal stories about Yvonne and D because he knows them so well!
The Johnson's and the Rude's
Yvonne and D holding up their sign marriage license.
It's OFFICIAL!
These last few pictures are of Yvonne's Bachelorette Party from the week before her wedding. A large group of girls went to dinner and then back to Sara Madison's house for celebrating Yvonne!

Me and the beautiful bride Rachel and I
Some wonderful women
The other table of wonderful women
What a great celebration of two amazing people. I'm so excited to see what the Lord through their life together!
I LOVE YVONNE!

1 comment:

April Scherb said...

(I know its late but I promise I went to bed and am now up feeding Kayla, LOL.) I just wanted to say that this post is wonderful! Everything you said about this dear women is true and could be testified to by many many other women. Thank you for honoring Yvonne is such a delightful way!