Friday, January 28, 2011

Rexy


We write to you all with tears in our eyes and scared but confident hearts... we remain confident that the Lord is good and in control and ALWAYS working for the good of those who love Him. What an amazing promise that He gives us to cling to in good times and bad.

I started my post with those exact words in July 2009 when I was 26 weeks pregnant with my babies. But those same words are true today, tears, but confident in the Lord.

Rex had been sick for a few days but was on some medication and things were looking up on Tuesday. Wednesday morning, he never really woke up. He was very lethargic and breathing rapidly. I brought him into the doctor and from the moment I walked in I knew something was terribly wrong. They were very quick to see us and assess him and before I knew it we were in an ambulance on our way to the ER. His oxygen levels were at 64% (ours are at 100%) and he was breathing around 90 breaths per minute (normal is around 25). I don't remember being so scared in my whole life.

Our home for the last few days and probably another week is the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) where they discovered that he had severe pneumonia, RSV, temps around 104.7 that they struggled to bring down, and a bacteria that they knew was in his blood but were unsure of what it was.

They identified the bacteria (it has a long name) and are able to treat it more specifically and aggressively now. They have controlled his temperature and have him stable. He is on a ventilator and therefore cannot be awake. For first few days he was on paralysis medication, sedated with muscle relaxers, they took him off the paralysis meds which allows him to wiggle his fingers and toes and attempt to open his eyes. He peeked at me last night, a sweet ending to a long day for us. We can't simulate him too much because he tries to move more when he hears our voices. He wants to get up and play!

So now we just wait. Everything takes time. They are anticipating at least a week before our whole family will be together again. Quinn and Myla are such blessings and doing tremendously while Dan and I are up at the hospital a lot. Quinn and Myla are both sick too with fevers (that are controlled by Tylenol) and some bad coughs. So that makes my heart a little more heavy and it makes things a little more difficult to be away. The doctors are not concerned though about them developing the same things as Rex, but gave us a lot of signs to look for and be aware of.

We have once again been BEYOND cared for by our friends around us. I'm not sure we would make it through without the millions of people offering to help at every moment. Blessed does not even sum up what we are to be surrounded by such amazing people who are dying to serve us, help take care of our kids, bring us meals, and PRAY. I cannot tell you how many people are praying for our little man, although my heart aches constantly it is so reassuring the people that are lifting him up and blessing our lives. "Thank you" does not even express our gratitude to everyone.

Last night before bed Quinn hugged Myla and looked at me and said "we're missing one" - my aching heart's thoughts exactly! It seems weird to make them breakfast with one empty high chair, it seems weird laying Myla down alone in her room, it seems so easy trying to keep two children content vs. three. We anxious to all be together again and Quinn and Myla are anxious to have their buddy back, they desperately miss him! I'm looking forward to him being off the ventilator and holding him in my arms again, although I'm not sure I will EVER let go!

Please continue to pray for him and a quick recovery. He is a fighter. He always has been. He fought Myla for 32 weeks to have the largest space in my uterus. He fought through a month in the NICU with no major setbacks. He has been fighting the last few days the doctors are pleased with his progress because he came in so critical, but the road ahead still looks long to me. So pray that he keeps fighting. Pray that Quinn and Myla fight off what they have so they can be around other kids and eventually come see Rex when he is out of intensive care. Pray that I get to hold him in my arms again soon. We are truly thankful for his progress and his stability but are so anxious to have him running around again! That will be a blessed day!

I gave Rex a haircut about a week ago. So his Tom Brady hair is gone but he is still so handsome!

5 comments:

cornellgj said...

Oh Meg, my heart aches for you! There is nothing worse than seeing your child so sick. We'll keep Rex and your family in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Unfortunately, we've had some experience in the PICU too. The doctors and nurses there are great. But, there's nothing like having your family together! We'll pray too that your other kiddos get better quickly!

CJ said...

Meg: It is not fair that a little one should have to suffer so. It is good they have him sedated so he is not frightened. To think of you going through this is so heartbreaking for all of us, but you were such a large part of our lives that it feels like my daughter going through it and i am helpless. But that is not so, you are a strong woman and we all have God. He is the hero to this story and he will prevail to guide us through this and anything else that comes our way. Hugs to all and you have my continued prayers for all of you.
Love you

CJ said...

Sorry i did not know it would post as CJ - its claudia

KarenS said...

Dear Meg,
Amanda has been asking me to pray for Rex and your family. I am encouraged to hear that he is doing a little better. She told me she saw him and it made her cry to see him hooked up to so many tubes. I am thanking God for each and every tube because they are helping him to get better. I can't imagine how your heart must be aching for your little guy. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We hope to see you at the wedding, but realize you may need to be with Rex. Praying he is home with the rest of his family by then.
Love to you,
Karen Stopek (Amanda's mom)

Kathy said...

Thinking of all of you and praying your family will all be well and home together soon.