Saturday, January 7, 2012

Call me Betty

FOR THIS WEEK ONLY you can call me Betty Crocker. I do not want this name carrying over to next week due to the large amounts of pressure that it puts on my cooking skills (or lack there of).

I had a fabulous week in the kitchen! I tried tw0 new recipes, one delicious previously made recipe and a smoothie that I think has potential. I must say that each one AMAZING!

I started the successful week with my mom's lasagna (recipe below). We were having friends over for dinner and the last time we invited them for dinner I made an awful lasagna so I felt the need to redeem myself! And if I do say so myself, I DID! If anyone could screw up my momma's fabulous lasagna it would be me. I took a chance and even made an extra to freeze for future dinners. It did not disappoint and it boosted my confidence in the kitchen for the rest of the week!

Wednesday night came and I took another chance on a new recipe. I discovered it on one of my favorite blogs that I follow Iowa Girl Eats. She put a link to this recipe. Taco Salad Dippers. Well, one thing that is a guarantee that my children will eat is tacos so I decided to spin it a little and Linkmake taco salad dippers. Dan refers to it as taco chili. The BEST part about this recipe is that my children loved it! Let me repeat that, MY CHILDREN LOVED IT! It is delicious, healthy, simple. We didn't even bring out the chips and they just ate it with a spoon like chili. I'm not kidding it was so great. I used lean ground turkey and brown rice..... ohh my mouth is watering just thinking of it!

Taco Salad Dippers Recipe is HERE
Let me warn you, it makes a lot! It is GREAT leftover, and that is saying something because I usually do not like leftovers. I even put a whole tupperware in the freezer (recommended on the site). I'm sensing a trend... my freezer is stocked with delicious food. Now I just need to cross a deep freeze off my want list and I can stock up even more fabulous meals!

I finished off my week with Chicken Lettuce Wraps. I have made these before and was so happy with them. My memory did not disappoint. They were once again amazing. Dan licked the pan clean!

And right now I am sipping a Green Monster Spinach Smoothie from once again, Iowa Girl Eats. I think with a little tweaking my kids would really enjoy it. It could be a great way to get some vegetables into my fruit loving children. It calls for 4 cups of spinach. I'm not sure if the bright green color would excite them or scare them off. I'm willing to try anything to get some veggies into them. I'll keep you posted if they fall for it. I might have to make it without them looking!

And since I didn't take any pictures of us indulging in these fabulous foods, you are forced to look at many many pictures of the worlds sweetest baby munching on the worlds sweetest toes...Now I should add computers to the list of things that I am not good at. This picture is flipped in my photo folder but when I upload it to the blog it flips back.... hmmmmm. If only my dad lived close by!Really getting that whole foot in his mouth!I love the many faces!Titan, like the rest of the Wee Rudes is happiest with the least amount of clothing on as possible. So often times when changing him I will leave his legs free and his toes available for munching on for a little while. The result is smiles all around. I call them "free spirits." It must be in their blood!
Momma's Lasagna
1 1/2 # sausage and or beef (I uses a mixture)
1 clove garlic minced
1 Tbsp minced parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp basil
1 Tbsp oregano
3 (6oz) cans tomato paste
28 oz can tomatoes (I use petite diced)

3 C cottage cheese or 32 oz ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp minced parsley
1/2 C Parmesan cheese (grated, not shredded)

1 lb or sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese

1 package of lasagna noodles

Brown meat; remove fat. Add next 7 ingredients; simmer 1 hour., stirring occasionally. The sauce is very thick.
combine next 6 ingredients ( not noodles or mozzarella cheese). Spoon about 1/2 C of meat mixture on bottom of pan; cover with noodles. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 1/3 of the Mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of meat mixture over noodles. Repeat 3 times. Sprinkle with oregano. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the corners of the pan to insure enough moisture to cook the noodles. Cover and refrigerate or bake immediately at 375*. If cooking right away, only takes about 40 minutes. If from a cold state, more than one hour. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

So pleased with the many sweet successes of my week. I really get excited when I make something that every enjoys and it is good and good for you. Dan leaves tomorrow for a week in Florida for a speaking conference so yogurt, eggs and fruit will be on the menu. I don't want anyone getting used to this delicious eating! Thankful for these great recipes and so thankful for the mouths that they feed!

1 comment:

Carrie Krupke said...

Maybe you could slip them the spinach smoothie on St. Patty's day-that way, everything is supposed to be green anyway. ;) Good luck!